Believe it or not, Rochester’s second annual Day of Science is just a few days away! The ROC-MFS organizing team is hard at work finalizing preparations. In the meantime, here’s what you need to know to get ready for the day’s events:
When is the Day of Science?
The Day of Science will be held the afternoon of Saturday, April 14th. Schedule of events:
- 12PM-1PM Rally for Science
- 1PM – March for Science Kickoff
- 1PM-5PM Rochester Science Expo and Career Fair
Where will the event be held?
The Day of Science will begin at Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Park. The march will lead from the Park to the second floor of the Rochester Riverside Hotel (formerly the Rochester Radisson Hotel) at 120 E Main St, Rochester, NY 14604, where we will be hosting the Rochester Science Expo and Career Fair.
Is the event family-friendly and accessible?
Yes! We are making every effort to ensure that our event is open and accessible to all who wish to participate. Specific accommodations include:
- Playground science and kid-focused activities for families throughout the day
- Restrooms available at the Rally and Expo
- ASL interpreters at both the Rally and Expo
- Spanish language interpreter available at the Expo
- Braille programs
- Nursing and changing areas at the Expo, as well as dedicated quiet space
If you have a specific concern not addressed here, please contact us via email, or by messaging us on Facebook.
What is the plan if it rains?
Science marches on, rain or shine! Please check the weather forecast and wear comfortable shoes and warm layers if appropriate. If you would prefer to stay indoors, you are welcome to attend just the Expo at the Rochester Riverside Hotel beginning at 1 pm.
Where can I get cool ROC-MFS gear?
If you would like to donate to help us cover the costs of hosting this year’s event, as well as support our endeavors throughout the year, we have a number of “March-endise” items available as thank you gifts. These include ROC-MFS mugs, bumper stickers, lanyards, and tote bags. These will be available at both the Rally and Expo locations on April 14th.
Additionally, our FINAL t-shirt campaign runs from Friday April 6th – Monday April 16th. While these won’t ship until after the Day of Science, this is your last chance to get your very own 2018 ROC-MFS t-shirt or hoodie.
Where should I park?
There are a number of parking garages available in the area. We recommend carpooling, if possible. The following is a sampling of available lots which you may use and prices are subject to change based on the garage operator. Street parking is also available.
- Rochester Riverside Hotel Parking Garage ($25 per day)
- South Avenue Garage on the corner of South Ave and Main St. (Daily maximum of $10)
- Court Street Garage on the corner of Court St. and South Ave. (Daily maximum of $10)
- Mortimer St. Garage on the Clinton Ave. North of Main St. (Free parking on Saturdays)
- Washington Square Garage on the corner of Woodbury Blvd. and S. Clinton Ave. (Free parking on Saturdays)
How will the march route affect traffic?
The Rochester Heart Walk and Run will also be taking place on the morning of the Day of Science. The race course will pass by the Rochester Riverside Hotel on Main Street. Sections of Main Street will also be closed during the March for Science to accommodate our route. We recommend planning to arrive early due to traffic changes as a result of both the Heart Walk and March for Science events.
Will there be food available at the Expo?
Yes! There will be a concession area within the Expo space serving hot meals. Concessions will be open from 12:30-4:30 PM. The Hotel also has a restaurant which will be open during the event, but not within the Expo space.
I can’t make it to the March – is there any other way I can participate?
We will be live streaming the event for those who cannot make it to the March in person. Stay tuned to our social media pages for updates, and in the meantime, check out this preview on our YouTube channel!
Also, please subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date with future events!
I have a question that is not answered here?
Please let us know – we want to hear from you! You can contact us via email, or by messaging us on Facebook.
I’m so excited and I can’t wait another week!?!?
- Get your sign ready! For inspiration, take a look at some great signs from here in Rochester and around the world at last year’s March.
- Check out our schedule of events, featuring guest speakers and interactive demonstrations from students, academic scientists, non-profit organizations and local businesses!
Photos courtesy of Eric Koski